Forums Home

Lived Experience Forum

Acceptance, connection, support. Share the journey.

Safe, anonymous discussion for people living with complex mental health issues, moderated 24/7 by mental health professionals.

Read the community guidelines
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Better Off With You

Community Guide

How can I challenge the way I think about Myself

'How can I challenge the way I think of myself ' 

Positive self-talk makes you feel good about yourself and the things that are going on in our life.

It's like having an optimistic voice in your head that always looks on the bright side. ...  Negative self-talk tends to make people pretty miserable and can even have an  impact on their  mental health difficulties and also Physical problems

And negativity plays a whole lots around us including ourselves , our family , our children and even our pets

‘what tips, tricks or thoughts do people have on how to challenge the way we think about ourselves?’

3 ways to talk yourself up.jpg

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted

Re: How can I challenge the way I think about Myself

Hey @Shaz51. I'm often my harshest critic, as I think many of us can be! The negativity inside me can be very strong and loud sometimes.

I like those points above about listening to and challenging your self-talk. Something I've been working at is identifying when my negative self-talk is in full swing. I tend to get flooded with always, never, everything, nothing, should. I'll say things to myself like - I always stuff things up. I'll never be able to do this. Nothing ever goes to plan. I should be able to do this. Everything is going wrong.

I'm learning that those words are big flags for me and signs that it is worth stopping and trying to look beyond them. I can try to challenge them by finding evidence that counters them, and realising that, while it genuinely feels that way at times, rarely is it actually true or real. (Lots easier said than done though!)

Highlighted

I struggle with the whole power of positive thinking thing, but wholeheartedly agree it's important to challenge the negative stuff we tell ourselves. It's often way out of proportion. I agree @Shaz51 about talking back even if it's as simple as saying to the negative voice - hey, ease up, I'm doing the best I can. 

Can really identify with the black and white thinking @CheerBear ... I try and narrow my focus from always and never to today, or right now e.g. today I didn't handle something well versus I never do and I never will. 

One thing that helps, though I am yet to really form the habit, is to reflect at the end of the day and see if you can find things that went ok, or even well. Humans have a negativity bias,and it's good to balance that out a bit.

Highlighted

I really like the idea of narrowing your focus to the present situation @frog rather than being swept away applying one situation to a whole picture. Also appreciate the idea of reflecting at the end of the day to try and identify what went well.
Highlighted

I also struggle with the whole power of positive thinking but something that really got through to me was thinking about how I talk to myself versus how i talk about my best friend.

I would never talk about anyone else the way i talk to myself on the inside so now i just try to be a little bit kinder to myself everyday. Not easy all the time though...
Highlighted

Highlighted

I find this so hard - my brain wants to tell me that I'm stupid or silly for feeling low and for not being able to do as much as others when I feel like that. Its really annoying to not believe or judge myself for seeming lazy and hopeless and I feel a bit ashamed when I think about it through others eyes. Does anyone deal with the same thing? I like the idea of reframing in the pic you shared Shaz51

Highlighted

Hello @Juney10 , @dani2 

remember to put a @ in front of members names so they can receive your email message

we need to be kind to ourselves too especially when we are feeling unwell

and i find writting a list of things that you want to get done

you don`t need to do them all , even one or 2 of them is a step forward

and to say " I did do something today "

@Juney10, @dani2 , have you had a look around the forum, there are lots of wonderful threads and wonderful members to say hello to

@CheerBear , @frog 

Highlighted

Highlighted

hello @Juney10 , @dani2 , @CheerBear , @frog 

how are ou today my friends xxx

For urgent assistance, call: