Forums Home

Lived Experience Forum

Acceptance, connection, support. Share the journey.

Safe, anonymous discussion for people living with complex mental health issues, moderated 24/7 by mental health professionals.

Read the community guidelines
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Better Off With You

Community Guide

How do you find and know your value in the world?

How do you find your value in the world when it feels like the world would be better off without you? This is something I have found really challenging at times and something I have heard many people struggle with also.

An important part of developing my sense of self-worth and knowing my value in the world has been to identify things I feel passionate about and find ways I can stand up for them. Noticing the steps I have taken along the way increases my confidence, and connecting with people who lift me up has been helpful also.

Would anyone else like to share how you find and know your value in the world?

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted

Re: How do you find and know your value in the world?

Hi @CheerBear it can be really hard to see your own value when you are down - it's a bit of a vicious circle. I like the idea of finding things you feel passionate about and standing up for them... acting in line with your own values is a way to make a contibution. When I'm feeling despondent, I try and look for little wins, however small, and it helps me feel like me being here adds something. It also helps me to try and connect with people on whatever level. Saying good morning, or thanking someone can change their day. You often don't see the upshot of what you do.

Highlighted

@CheerBear wrote:

How do you find your value in the world when it feels like the world would be better off without you? This is something I have found really challenging at times and something I have heard many people struggle with also.

Hmmm something that is ongoing for many many years... Finding my value is an ongoing process, but I try to focus on the small things: did i make someone laugh/smile this week, did i listen to someone without judging? And just practising noticing those things...

Highlighted

Finding our value is an ongoing process, @dani2 

very true and it takes time to think and say what things did I do today , sometimes writting them down helps too

@CheerBear, @frog 

How-do-you-add-value-to-the-world-graphic-600x600.png

Highlighted

I like the idea of small things - thats cool like making someone laugh or smile. Sometimes when I walk my dog she makes others smile and that makes me feel good- I never thought about that making me more valued though...

Highlighted

Hello @Juney10 , @dani2 , @frog , @CheerBear 

yes it is soo easy to forget the little things that makes us smile

and  our furbabies love us and make us and others smile is wonderful

Highlighted

Sorry if i've got the bull by the horns, but Cheerbear i love yourvinspiration of "did i make some1 laugh/smile today", because i find that is what keeps me moving, if i crack a funny at work & ge a laugh it lifts me higher than iv'e been lifted b4,alas sadly as i said to 1 my customers today, "i love coming here, you guys make me smile & laugh, crack a funny, get high on my emotions,SADLY i then told them this feeling will be gone 5 mins down the road. HOW do i keep the "GOOD" feelings going. Sorry for long story...first time poster,..LONG time sufferer.

Highlighted

Is it me or the dog that makes them smile..i ask myself what would life be like for a dog...so easy.My dog/mylife.
Highlighted

that is a good question my friend @ginjaninja 

I think you are doing really well and to continue what you are doing xxxx

my friends loves my husband saying jokes ,  saying how canhe have depression as he makes us laugh

Is it me or the dog that makes them smile. @ginjaninja  I think it is both , you and your furbaby xoxo

@CheerBear, @Juney10 , @dani2 , @frog 

Highlighted

Thx Shaz51, still learning too navi this forum, as said Newbie, you make me cry when i read yr response (HAPPY tears) as you said many pple say " how can they have depprisive motions when they make evy1 laugh...( yeah it's a tough gig but hey, i gotta be good @ something). Been a very tough 'n rocky road, (Oh i LOVE chocolate) the last few mths, scored a 34/32/36 on the DAS(S) last week..going downhill FAST, hence why i am looking for help, and i think i have found a good spot, sorry for rambling, but it helps me get it off my chest, that's g2b a good thing, aye.

For urgent assistance, call: