Forums Home

Lived Experience Forum

Acceptance, connection, support. Share the journey.

Safe, anonymous discussion for people living with complex mental health issues, moderated 24/7 by mental health professionals.

Read the community guidelines
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Better Off With You

Senior Contributor

I Valued Him

I am a survivor of suicide - I have lost my son and my cousin to suicide and I think neither of them had any real conception of how other people loved them and how valued they were

No doubt they were in a lot of pain - and this I do understand - when I think of my son I think that he was really at the end of his tether and maybe there was no other choice for him

But I was devastated - I learned after he died that there can sometimes be one family member that will take on the whole grief load for the family - when I was told this I was confused but through the years I have learned a great deal and yes - I did this and maybe this was one reason my son died - the rest of the family didn't understand Mental Illness and they didn't know the details of the distressed life he lived and didn't want to hear anything like that - they didn't want to know 

But I did - and alone I did my best for him - I stuck with him until the end - and my minister told me that our community couldn't help - now I know that it takes a village

In my son's case a city wasn't enough

But the truth was - he was never a burden to me. I loved him and cared about him and to this day I still do - it was unbelievably painful for a long time

About my cousin - I really don't know but I do know how terrible it was for his parents. They were there for me when my son died and I was there for them when their son died

And they were both loved - they were not a burden - and this is still true

Dec

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted

Re: I Valued Him

@Dec  DecHeartxxxx

Highlighted

Warm wishes @Dec  xx

Highlighted

@Dec  I was thinking early today about the strength of love. How it crosses forbidden territory. 

Colour, money, power,fame.

Reading your post I realised even death does not break that strength. It’s not something easily put into words, it’s felt, deeply felt, and forever. And it’s a gift I think.

Sending some love to you tonight @Dec ❤️❤️❤️

Highlighted

Love and hugs @Dec ❤️❤️❤️

Highlighted

@BlueBay @Maggie @eth @greenpea 

Thanks so much for your support - and yes Maggie - love does have a greater power than death and it's pretty mystical - I had not really thought of that myself in those terms at least - but it's true

And - everyone I know - irl or on-line - is valuable to me

Dec

Highlighted

@Dec  oh sweetie.... words fail me xxxHeart

Highlighted

@Dec  💙💙💙

Highlighted

thinking of you @Dec Heart

For urgent assistance, call: