Forums Home

Lived Experience Forum

Acceptance, connection, support. Share the journey.

Safe, anonymous discussion for people living with complex mental health issues, moderated 24/7 by mental health professionals.

Read the community guidelines
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Better Off With You

Community Guide

What do I like about me?

In spite of seeing plenty wrong with myself, I am trying to take a different perspective. When someone challenged me to come up with things I like about myself, I felt more comfortable with the question: what is likeable about me? So I'm throwing it out there - can you come up with 3 things about yourself that you like? Mine are that I'm honest, funny and don't give up.

22 REPLIES 22
Highlighted

Re: What do I like about me?

can you come up with 3 things about yourself that you like?

I would say I am a" keep on keeping on person ", "someone that does not give up ",  compassionate , loving

Mine are that I'm honest, funny and don't give up.--- I agree with your`s but too me I see you as a awesome and amazing friend xxx @frog 

Highlighted

I like this challenge @frog, though it can be really challenging to identify and then share 'good' things about myself. I find it a bit easier to do when I'm feeling OK, which I am at the moment.

My three are - I like that I like learning. As long as there is something to learn I think I'll be OK. I also like that I can be brave (sometimes) and that I care a lot about a lot.

🙂
Highlighted

Good ones @CheerBear @Shaz51 I can see those qualities in you.

Highlighted

Highlighted

@Shaz51 I truely dont know Shaz51 ..... I suppose I keep trying ....I never give up

Highlighted

@Shaz51  What I like about me....

1. I am very creative.  Like all tourmented souls I guess.  Trying to make sense of pain through creativity.

2. My deep connection to nature and animals.  Only place I really feel safe.

3. What I like about me most is acutally the saddest thing for me to deal with right now.  I now I'm different.  I have always been different.  When I was younger all I wanted in the whole world was to be "normal".  Took me 5 decades to get past that and accept myself as I am.  Completely different.  Completely unique.  I don't fit in and that is just fine with me.  Now I find out that the reason I don't fit in isn't cause I'm unique and special and different, it's cause I'm mentally ill.  At least that is what the external world is telling me.  Personally I think I'm just fine the way I am.  It's everyone else who has the problem.   Just sayin' 😂

Highlighted

@ETBug @frog @greenpea @Shaz51 @CheerBear 

Hi all,

I remember a team building exercise at work about 5 years ago. Each staff member had to write something nice about each other and then we received what was written.  I cried because of the kind things people wrote. Sometimes it's easier to see our own deficits and not our attributes. I've grown to appreciate my self more over the past 5 years. I think that's partly because I am now in my 50's and have grown to accept myself. 
3 things:

* I'm compassionate 

* I'm a good organiser

* I can laugh at myself

Highlighted

Hi @Scoo 👋 I'm not sure we've met yet. Hi and same @ETBug 🙂 Nice to see you both.

In a way I like not really fitting in much too @ETBug, though it took me a while to be OK with it.

@Scoo that's a lovely story 🙂 During a MH stay recently we did a group activity where we tried to identify things we liked about ourselves. All of us found it easy to say things about other people but not so much about ourselves, so we shared things about each other we liked and wrote them down. It was a really nice feeling activity. Great to hear you're accepting of yourself too.
Highlighted

Nice to meet you too @CheerBear 

I love your name 😀🐻

For urgent assistance, call: